Sacha Modolo of Education First triumphs at Stage Three the Vuelta a Andalucia 2018.
The day’s stage took the peloton across 166.5 kilometers from Mancha Real to Herrera, over two categorised climbs. Modolo redeemed himself after missing out on stage one where he celebrated a little early, losing out to Direct Energie’s Thomas Boudat. The EF sprinter beat Carlos Barbero (Movistar) and Nelson Soto (Caja Rural) to the line by a healthy margin, although not wanting to take any chances, he finished by throwing himself over the line. Wout Poels of Team Sky keeps hold of the No.1 position in the general classification.
After Thursday’s trip to the heights of the Alto del Allanadas, the peloton benefited from a relatively flat profile on this stage three of the Ruta del Sol. After a very scrappy first section of racing, the day’s breakaway formed well after ten kilometres of racing. Today’s group was formed of Oscar Cabedo (Burgos-BH), Marco Minnaard (Wanty-Group Gobert), Alvaro Cuadros (Caja Rural-Seguros) RGA) and Hector Saez (Euskadi-Murias). This group quickly lost Jesus Ezquerra and Jerome Baugnies. The five survivors would spend the day together under the Andalucian sun. One hundred kilometers from the finish line, the leading group have three minutes on the peloton.
At the top of the second and final climb of the day, the peloton still has to pull back 2’40 “, more or less 50 kilometres from the finish. The chase begins and by thirty kilometres from the finish line this gap has narrowed to 1’30 “. In the final 25 kilometers of the race, Cuadros and Saez push ahead to take the lead.
A valiant effort saw them ride ahead for around ten kilometers but they were eventually caught by the peloton at 12 kilometers from the finishline. It was at this point Direct Energie, Astana and Ag2R-La Mondiale began fighting for position, ahead of the final 90-degree turn of the race. A crash from Clement Venturini in the last bend at 500 meters from the finish caused a significant break in the peloton. Unphased by the confusion, Sacha Modolo was able to freestyle his way to the front and get his redemption in a stage win ahead of Carlos Barbero and Nelson Soto.
Stage 3 of Vuelta a Andalucia 2018 Results
- Sacha Modolo (Education First)
- Carlos Barbero (Movistar)
- Nelson Soto (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA)
- Oscar Gatto (Astana)
- Moreno Hofland (Lotto-Soudal)
- Ion Aberasturi (Euskadi-Murias)
- Eduard Grosu (Nippo-Vini Fantini)
- Coen Vermeltfoort (Roompot Nederlandse Loterij)
- Andrea Pasqualon (Wanty-Groupe Gobert)
- Colin Joyce (Rally Cycling)
General Classification after Stage 3
- Wout Poels (Team Sky)
- Luis Leon Sanchez (Astana) +3
- Tim Wellens (Lotto-Soudal) +3
- Mikel Landa (Movistar) +5
- Jakob Fuglsang (Astana) +5
- Marc Soler (Movistar) +18
- Chris Froome (Team Sky) +28
- Mikel Bizakarra (Euskadi-Murias) +34
- Jelle Vanendert (Lotto-Soudal) +38
- Steven Kruijswijk (Team LottoNL-Jumbo) + 41